Saturday, 19 June 2010

Spider Stitch Experiments

In a rather old needle-craft book I acquired from my mother there is an example of a stitch it refers to as 'spider stitch'. Now, this is decidedly not the spider stitch I saw everywhere when I googled 'crochet spider stitch' so I don't know if it just has a different name now, or whether people just decided it didn't need a name but it looked cool from what I could make out from the small, black and white photograph in the book, so I decided to give it a go.

My first attempt was using a 4mm hook and I gave up after a few times because I just couldn't see what I was doing (probably not helped by the fact that I wasn't sure exactly what I was doing anyway) and moved on to a 7mm hook instead. I still had to use stitch markers in the first few rows until I was a little more familiar with how it was supposed to look, but after that it was easy and went along fine.

I then had the 'what do I do with this thing now?' dilemma and decided instead of just unravelling it all to make it into a wrist band, so I added a few more rows to make it fit around my wrist and slip-stitched the two ends together. You can see how it turned out above.

The pattern requires you chain an even amount of stitches, then two for turning, then into the third chain from the hook you dc 1, ch 1, dc, 1 (or sc 1, ch 1, sc 1 if you're American) dc (sc) in the final stitch then chain 2 & turn. In the next row you repeat the 1dc, 1ch, dc in all the chain spaces from the previous row. Again, dc in last stitch and ch 2, turn. Rince and repeat the second row.

It's a pretty nice effect it produces and I'd definitely experiment with it more. I thought the pattern would be more visible if I tried again with a bigger hook, which is what I did. I'll talk about that a bit below, but it didn't quite give the effect I wanted. Now I'm thinking a yarn with less elasticity might be what I'm after. Maybe a lce-weight yarn would work well. I'll experiment more when I actually get my hands on any lace-weight crochet yarn.


So, with the 10mm crochet hook I decided to see how it would work in the round. I crocheted an even amount of stitches again, but since I spiralled it I doubt it really matters. Spiralling produced a different effect which was more checkered. You can't really see it well in the photo, but it's definitely there.


No comments:

Post a Comment