Monday, 25 October 2010

Hats, Hats, Hats

So, having bought the lovely King Cole DK Mirage wool last week, I had to do something with it straight away. I love hats, because usually, hats love me, so I figured a hat was indeed the way forward. I wanted a slouchy hate, because I've never had one, let alone made one before, so I found this pattern. It came out okay, technically. I added one more row of decreases than the pattern suggested and it still came out a little too big - it stayed on my head fine, but I would have liked it to feel a little more secure.

The main problem was that because of the colour changes in the wool, it started to look like a rasta hat.And the problem with rasta hats is that I just don't like them. I don't want to look like a rasta. So after umming and aahing for a bit, and trying the hat on in various different ways (letting it flop to the side more like a beret, etc), and being reassured by my friends that it looked just fine, I decided that even if it did look just fine, it looked like a just fine rasta hat, and I was never going to wear it, and therefore, it had to go. The good thing here was that being a slouchy hat, it had used more wool that most other hats would, so if I just unravelled it, I'd have enough wool to make most other hats. So unravel it I did.

I decided, slouch hats being out for this wool, that I would try instead a pattern I tried a few months ago and just couldn't get right - Kristy Ashmore's Diamond Ridges Hat. This time I found it a lot easier. Probably just because I took a little bit more time to read the pattern before diving in. So if you're trying this pattern, reading the instructions carefully is definitely something I'd recommend. But I finally have a hat I can wear! And enough wool left over to make some matching gloves (one completed, one to go).


No comments:

Post a Comment