The main problem was that because of the colour changes in the wool, it started to look like a rasta hat.And the problem with rasta hats is that I just don't like them. I don't want to look like a rasta. So after umming and aahing for a bit, and trying the hat on in various different ways (letting it flop to the side more like a beret, etc), and being reassured by my friends that it looked just fine, I decided that even if it did look just fine, it looked like a just fine rasta hat, and I was never going to wear it, and therefore, it had to go. The good thing here was that being a slouchy hat, it had used more wool that most other hats would, so if I just unravelled it, I'd have enough wool to make most other hats. So unravel it I did.
I decided, slouch hats being out for this wool, that I would try instead a pattern I tried a few months ago and just couldn't get right - Kristy Ashmore's Diamond Ridges Hat. This time I found it a lot easier. Probably just because I took a little bit more time to read the pattern before diving in. So if you're trying this pattern, reading the instructions carefully is definitely something I'd recommend. But I finally have a hat I can wear! And enough wool left over to make some matching gloves (one completed, one to go).